Thursday, September 18, 2008

9-08-08 (from hand-written journal)

9-08-08
One night has passed here at Trek Stop. Adam is still asleep at 7:45am now, but it's technically only 6:45am to him (still a bad excuse). When I stepped out of our cabin, one of the first things I saw was a man walking around with a machete. I smiled and nodded, then went in the opposite direction.

I'm sitting here in the kitchen/library area, and realized this is the first time I've seen Trek Stop in daylight. The tropical trees and plant life I'm seeing at the moment are gorgeous. I really want to walk around and take pictures, but my camera is locked in Adam's suitcase.

There's a group of younger people here with a travel group called G*A*P Adventures. It consists of about a dozen or so 20-22 year olds from the states, as well as the UK, Germany, and likely other places as well, plus a creepy 30-year old (who appears to be in charge) who looks like he came from a hippie commune, and appears completely indifferent about everything going on around him. After Adam and I got some dinner last night at a local place in the village of Succotz called Benny's, we played cards and drank Belekin (local Belizian brewed beer) with the G*A*P kids. I learned two new card games from them, Kings in the Corner, and Shithead. To quote the one and only Kelly D, "Good Times."

8:45am - Adam is still out cold.

The Trek Stop kind of reminds me of Camp Wise, especially when it's dark out. There are gravel paths to get from place to place here, and we're sleeping in a cabin with a clothes line outside of it. If someone randomly started singing "Circle Game," I would not be shocked at all. DRAGONFLY INSIDE A JAR!!!

I just got a huge smile on my face when I look at the time. My co-workers are at our Monday morning meeting, and I'm sitting in a hut in the jungle, staring at a bottle of Bacardi Superior that I could (but won't) dive into without any consequence (other than to my empty stomach) :)

Adam finally woke up, so I'll wrap this up for now.

Until next time,

Ryan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan:

The Trek Stop was the home base for your big adventure day trips. I would have liked to have seen these places when I was younger.

When you said that you had dinner at a Restaurant named Benny in the Village of Succotz, the first thing I thought of was that you were dining at a Jewish Deli. Did Benny's they have Corned Beef Sandwiches on their menu?

Dad