Friday, September 5, 2008

Luggage 2: Electric Boogaloo

When we last left off our amazingly boring August 24th blog entry, titled Luggage, our hero, Ryan, had spent way too much time babbling about ordering a luggage set from woot.com, and making the foolish decision of offering to buy people a beer who actually made it all the way to the end of the entry. As the adventure continues, has Ryan received said luggage yet??? Will he be stupid and offer people free beer again??? Will he discover the true secret meaning of the crystal skulls??? Let's find out together...

Fed Ex has the worst package tracking system I've ever encountered. After getting my tracking information emailed to me for my mediocre luggage set, the tracking information told me the package was picked up in Irving Texas on August 27th, then scanned as arriving in City of Industry, California, on August 29th. With the state of the economy, especially gas prices, I failed to see how going through California to get from Texas to Indiana was saving them money, but that's why I don't get paid the big bucks. Anyways, with the 29th being the beginning of a Holiday weekend, I didn't expect a whole lot of progress on the package until at least Tuesday. However, when Tuesday had come and gone, and there was no update to the tracking information, I began to get worried. I called customer support, and was informed that the package was scanned as leaving California on August 31st. With it now being September 3rd, I asked why that information wasn't available online. The question was dodged. I asked where the package currently was, and was told "I don't know." For a company that specializes in shipping packages, that all have fancy barcodes and tracking numbers, you think that information would be at their fingertips, but I guess you'd think wrong. With no update to the online tracking still the next day at 4pm, I decided to call customer service again. I wasn't surprised that I went through pretty much the exact same thing again, but found out that my package had made it to Kansas at some point that day. Right before I went to bed, I checked the tracking information one last time, and discovered that at 2:32pm, the package had been checked into Champagne, Illinois. It only took nine hours for that information to pop up online, and sadly it was an improvement, as the previous scans for leaving California, or arriving in Kansas still never showed up online. When I woke up the next morning, I was amazed to find out that the package was in Indianapolis, and already on a truck to be delivered. When I got home from work, there was my package:


Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the company that makes this stuff is so confident in their product, that they don't feel it necessary to spell their name right on their box :)

(For those of you that either can't read the small text or can't spot it, Beverly Hilis???)

When I opened up the package, there was a price-tag of $200 on the set, so getting it for $40 from woot was quite a bargain. It's definitely not the best quality set of luggage in the world, but it suits my needs just fine, and I'm happy with my purchase. It has a "new car" smell to it, but I am airing it out at the moment, and have lysol and nuetra-air on standby if need be.

In other news, I am not making much headway with the cold. Sinex lets me breathe for 9 or 10 hours, so I plan on taking it on the trip with me. T-Minus 40 hours until I get on a plane to leave for Belize!!!

I need to get some dinner now so I can head out to the cd release party of my favoritest local band, The Born Again Floozies.

Until next time,

Ryan

1 comment:

Jamie said...

And who told you the tracking system was always right in the end? Me, of course. :) Have a fabulous time on your trip!