Monday, September 1, 2008

Passport Health Literature

A couple weeks back when I was getting my vaccinations, I had to go to a place called Passport Health to be vaccinated for typhoid fever and polio, because my normal doctor's office did not carry these vaccinations. Along with the vaccinations, the nurse there gave me a 41 page packet of information about to Belize. I've been flipping through this packet over the weekend, and it is painting Belize to be a place where I'm almost guaranteed to get mugged and raped. Also, they state that just about all forms of transportation there are deemed to be not safe. Now I definitely understand the need to be safe, and appreciate them pointing out things like potential crime and transportation worries. However, this literature lays these worries on very thick, and it seems like the kind of thing that would cause paranoia in travelers. I will definitely take their warnings seriously, but at the same time, if I took these warnings to the extreme, it seems that the only safe thing to do in the country would be to sit in my hotel room and watch tv (and they also warn that this can be dangerous as well depending on the location of your hotel), which simply isn't happening.

In other news, we're less than a week away from the trip, and I'm ridiculously excited!!! I've started checking the 10-day weather report there, and as of now, there's a 60% chance of rain every day we'll be there, which is a bummer. It is hurricane season there though, so I guess that's pretty much to be expected. Whether that means constant rain, or a 5 minute rain storm at the beginning of the day, I have no idea. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

I think I'm going to get dinner started now though. I hope everyone's having a great holiday weekend.

Ryan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan:
The info you are referring to is what we get from the US Department of State. What you are describing is the US gov't assessment regarding the crime/security situation in Belize.

We hope that in spite of the warnings your trip went well, and you enjoyed the country.

Healthfully,
Passport Health Miami